Meeting minutes and other club business will be posted here.
The Chapter By Laws and past Club Meeting minutes for the current year will be archived in the Document Library at the bottom of the page.
Minutes Board Meeting January 5, 2013
In Attendance: Heather Wymore, Lisa Koch, Michelle Anderson & Laura Swenson
Meeting called to order –
First order of business was the ODS Board Meeting and Retreat the weekend of February 2-3 at Silver Falls Conference Center. Lisa, Heather Michelle & Laura will attend. Lisa will take care of registering everyone for this meeting.
Next up was a discussion on the Spring Meeting : Michelle will organize this event and will looking into having it at the Culinary College on the COCC campus. Question was raised – are people not attending our functions because of their location or is it a general attitude? This event will be held on March 27th at 6:00 pm. We will need an agenda.
Heather will be putting together a letter to the membership asking the membership for suggestions, input, ideas, etc. She will include her contact information.
Discussion on having a clinic on how to scribe and how to fill in entry forms. It was suggested having this on a weekend morning – having beverages and treats and door prizes. Perhaps have participants submit videos to be used in the scribing portion. It was suggested this event be held in April before show season. Need a budget and location. (Who is taking this on??)
Volunteer enticement/incentives – it was suggested that we track volunteer participation throughout the year and at the end of the “year” we have a drawing for a prize (perhaps an ODS membership for the grand prize). This would be awarded at the year-end banquet and one must be present to win.
It was decided to change the last League show from September 29 to October 6. We discussed “L” judges to contact and locations. Heather said she would check into Cinder Lakes up in Powell Butte. If this looks reasonable we will need to take a field trip to review.
Recognized Show – Laura will ask Corinne about doing
“jack pot” classes. We need sponsorships for the
recognized show. Lisa will ask
Adult Camp – Lisa requested the Board approve a $1000 match from the Club to help defray the cost of the Camp. We discussed the various concerns around why more members did not participate in the Camp – intensity of the work, perception of members or level of riding required, general misperception by the membership as to what the camp is and does. How to make camp more appealing to the membership? We discussed different clinicians Lisa might approach for future camps. The Board voted and approved her request.
Facebook – Michelle will update the club’s Facebook page and requested when items get added to the website to let her know & she will put them on FB.
It was suggested we ask Nancy Stearns about having an event in conjunction with the Summer Sizzler. Something which would draw members together for a casual event – lunch or a “Summer Member Appreciation”.
The question was raised again – how do we get people involved in participating on a committee? What committees do we need and what will their functions be? Recognized Show; League Shows; Social/Member Benefit; Clinics or Symposium???
Michelle motioned to adjourn the meeting, motion approved.
Next meeting to be held on??
Minutes – Board Meeting May 9, 2012
In attendance - Lisa Koch, Michelle Anderson, Donna Thayer & Laura Swenson
Laura requested for this meeting Roberts Rules be suspended. It was agreed on.
Agenda Item(s) covered:
The BBQ will be a donation situation to avoid insurance issues. The Youth Day Committee is figuring on 120-150 people for the BBQ – family of the riders, volunteers etc.
There will be an ad on Facebook.
Trainers lined up so far: Heather Wedmore, Natalie
Perry and Audrey Goldsmith. Kimry Jelen and
Deanne VanDen Berg are other possibilities and Nancy
Stearns is in the wings. Samantha will be hosting and
therefore will not be teaching.
Barbara Dohtery will be a judge and Donna will be
asking another. There will be a dressage trail
On an ongoing basis – we will wait and see what the response is for/from the first one. The mail goal is to expose young riders to dressage. Michelle will send out via MailChimp a blurb from Donna on the “Day” – informing club members and to look for volunteers. Flyers will be posted in the different barns and information will be sent out via OSET.
For the Devonwood CFlyers will be posted in the
different barns and information will be sent out via
OSET. amp – we discussed how the participant for
this would be chosen – what is the criteria? It
was determined the selection process would be the
responsibility of the Youth/Education committee.
Ribbons for the recognized show were discussed. Michelle mentioned a local lady she tried to order from in the past. Lisa will get the lady’s name and contact information from Michelle and check her out about ribbons for this year’s show.
Next Board meeting will be the first Wednesday in June (6/6/12 ), this meeting is open to everyone.
COCODS Board Meeting, February 20, 2012
In attendance: Laura Swenson, Lisa Koch, Michelle Anderson, Nancy Weaver and Karen Turner
Laura volunteered COCODS to sponsor two classes at
the ODS Championship show: FEI Adult
Amateur and Open
Notes from the ODS Retreat:
The agenda will be as follows:
a. A printed calendar will be handed out of
events for the year.
Committees for 2012:
In Attendance: Laura Swenson, Lisa Koch, Michele Anderson, Nancy Weaver and new member Teresa Brown
Nancy reported the
balance is as of 1/20/2012
Retreat is Feb. 4/5 - Karen and Laura will be attending. Laura will present annual chapter report
- July 8 at Stonepony
- Oct 7…Lisa Will contact Amy to confirm date
Committee: Would be in charge of Spring
Social and Awards
Show Committee: Be in
charge of League and Recognized shows and
3. Education committee
Development Committee: work to start a youth
camp and any
COCODS BOARD MEETING
November 7, 2011
New board members recently elected are:
Laura Swenson President
Lisa Koch Vice President
Karen Turner Secretary
Nancy Weaver Treasurer
Michelle Anderson Member at Large
Present at meeting: Laura Swenson, Nancy Weaver, Lisa Koch, Karen Tuner and Michelle Anderson
Treasurer's Report: The Awards Banquet on October 25, 2011 cost $2,282.00
(Note: COC Account balances are not published on the website for privacy reasons, If you are a Club member you may request any financial information directly from Nancy Weaver)
Show Dates 2012/Show managers: Having one show prior to Heart of the Valley as a precursor to the show season in the Willamette Valley was discussed. Tentative dates are as follows:
April 29th Early Spring Fling
July 8th Summer Sizzler
October 7th Fall Fling
A costume class in the October show was discussed to get younger riders involved.
Laura will contact Catherine Stout to let her know of the proposed show dates for 2012. Laura will also phone past managers to see if they want to be show managers again.
Show managers were discussed. Nancy Stearns has volunteered to be the manager of the July show, which will be at Stonepony.
Nancy Weaver will contact Siobhan to ask if Fox Village show program can be transferred to another user in order that we might train a back-up show secretary to Catherine who is doing a great job.
Recognized show update: Rimrock Riders signed a contract to use their facility for 2012.
Member survey: The Board will be sending the membership a survey to elicit their ideas for club activities. The Board discussed offering a gift certificate drawing for members who respond. The survey, headed up by Michelle Anderson, would be sent out by December 1 and be due by December 31, 2011.
Committees for 2012: It was suggested that we have three committees:
HOW TO GET OUR MEMBERSHIP INVOLVED:
Have a quarterly combination social/meeting.
Have an End of Year banquet in December
The Board will wait to make further decisions when the results of the survey are gathered.
Web site:- what next? The Board discussed another way to make the website easier to update.
The Board also discussed the format and locations for the Spring social. More on this when the board meets again.
The Board also discussed the possibility of a camp for younger riders, similar to the adult camp. The discussion also covered the possibility of offering a scholarship to the Devonwood Summer Camp for Young Riders. More information to follow in the coming months.
CENTRAL OREGON CHAPTER/ODS BUSINESS MEETING
A regular business meeting of the Central Oregon Chapter of ODS was called to order at 6:30pm by President Deborah Guelinas. Members present: Kimry Jelen, Lisa Koch, Laura Swenson and Gretchen Grivel
Treasurers Report: Deb Guelinas for Nancy Weaver
Deb distributed the financial report from the 2011 Central Oregon Dressage Classic held at Brasada Ranch. The club did make a profit from this show. Interested members may contact a member of the board for full details of the expenses and profit from this show. Kimry Jelen asked why our club was interested in making a profit at this show. The topic was discussed and it was concluded that we do not need to make a profit, but that we do not want to operate at a loss and that is why we have solicited sponsorships and increased entry fees. In the past, the only profit we have realized was from sponsorships so to insure that we were not operating at a loss the entry fees had been increased.
The next agenda item was to determine our level of sponsorships for the ODS Chamionships, NWDC/Regional Championship, ODS Banquet and ODS basket at the USDF Convention. The members decided to continue sponsorship of ODS and NWDC Championships at the same level as last year (1 championship and 1 reserve champion at each event). We will be given a 20 second PA announcement at the ODS Championship and a ½ page ad in the premium book. The board decided to use the ad space to promote next year’s recognized show. We will reuse the art work from the Brasada program. Kimry can resize it to fit the ad space we are given.
Our club will donate a leather halter to the ODS banquet and bottle of local gin and vodka in gift packaging to the USDF auction.
Please contact the board if you would like specifics on the costs of these sponsorships.
The discussion turned to ways the club can use its financial resources to benefit members and the future of the club as a venue for the advancement of the sport of Dressage. Our club holds the only USDF recognized event in our area and it is a valuable event for our members. In order to continue to hold the recognized show it has been suggested that the club purchase a 2nd arena since we need to run 2 arenas for the show. It would also be beneficial to have a trailer for storage and transport. There were logistical difficulties in finding and transporting a second arena in the past. It is also cumbersome to store this equipment and other show items i.e. judges stand, tables, chairs and supplies needed. Lisa Koch has researched the cost of a new arena and trailer. She has negotiated a price for the pylons and letters if they are purchased from Absolute Horse in Bend. In thanks for giving the club a discount on the arena, Absolute Horse will be given a ½ page ad in next year’s Brasada program. Additionally, Lisa obtained 3 quotes from local fence contractors for the rails. The lowest bid is from American Fencing for 40 rails of 13’1” each. It may be beneficial to also purchase some additional rails and a few other lengths to accommodate different set up situations and gates to enclose the arena for Jr. Young Rider classes. Lisa has researched the approximate cost of a trailer that would be suitable to store and transport the equipment. Exact figures can be obtained by contacting a board member. Lisa also spoke with Chris Main of ODS to find out if there are any special insurance requirements for the club to transport a trailer. She was told that other clubs have similar equipment and no special insurance is needed. Lisa motioned that our club purchase a 2nd arena and trailer. Kimry seconded the motion and the board approved it. Lisa will order the arena and rails and she will ask Monique Davis to help find a trailer for the club to buy.
Because these items are club property the board feels it is on occasion appropriate that members may use these resources. If a member wants to borrow club property, we feel it is a good idea to require a deposit to make sure equipment is returned and cared for. We loosely discussed a deposit of $100. No motion was made so it will be taken up by the next board.
Next on the agenda was the year end banquet. Kimry is designing the invitations, Lisa will have them printed. Everyone present was fine with mushroom pasta and sausage lasagna as main courses. The cost will be the same as last year, free to members, $10 for 1st guest and $25 for additional guests. RSVP with payment to Nancy Weaver Deb asked if there were any suggestions for a M.C. Marianne Thomas was suggested if she is in town. Someone recalled that Marsha Williams had offered. Deb will check with Marsha and if she wants to do it we will have her.
Volunteer of the year awards will be in the form of gift certificates. There will be 2 recipients. Gretchen will contact show managers for nominees and will put forth names of outstanding volunteers from the recognized show. Everyone decided to skip the Golden Pitchfork award this year.
On the subject of year end awards, members discussed having Intro classes at all league shows next year. This is a problem due to space and time constraints. The idea came up that maybe we could ask Nancy Stearns to hold an intro level show again next year and we could count those scores towards year end awards. That way we would only need one other score and could hold intro only at Horse Butte where there are 2 Arenas. Deb also informed us that Nancy Stearns has agreed to Manage another show next year.
The meeting adjourned at 7:15pm
Gretchen Grivel, Secretary COCODS